Around the nation, older adults make their marks every day as volunteers, employees, employers, parents, grandparents, mentors, and advocates. They offer their time, talents, and experience to the benefit of our communities.
For 57 years, Older Americans Month (OAM) has been a special time to recognize these contributions. Led by the Administration for Community Living (ACL) each May, OAM also provides resources to help older Americans stay healthy and independent, and materials to help communities support and celebrate their citizens.
This year’s theme, Make Your Mark, highlights older adults’ unique and lasting contributions to their communities—everything from sharing a story with grandchildren to leaving a legacy of community action. In the spirit of this theme, here are a few ways to make your mark this May and all year long:
- Volunteer your time. Local schools, shelters, food kitchens, and hospitals always need support. Help a neighbor by prepping a meal, picking up groceries, or giving them a ride. Or, take time to pass on your knowledge. Why not tutor a student who could use extra help in math, music, or science?
- Share your story. There are so many ways to do this such as sharinging your life story with your grandkids. Take a virtual class and learn how to express yourself with the arts! Or, assemble a photo album of important moments in your life.
- Get involved in your neighborhood. Join a homeowner or resident association, or sign up for a book club or other social group. Have a green thumb? Small projects like planting flowers in your yard or cleaning up the community park have a big impact.
Communities that support and include all their members are stronger!
2020 Temple City Older American of the Year
The City is proud to honor the 2020 Temple City Older American of the Year James Ponnet. Please visit 2020 T.C. Older American of the Year to learn more about Mr Ponnet's countless contributions to the community.
2019 Senior Master Plan Progress Report
The Parks and Recreation Department is pleased to present Senior Master Plan Progress Report. The Senior Master Plan Progress Report identifies the goals to be reached in order to implement the Senior Master Plan. The Senior Master Plan and the Temple City Senior Master Plan Progress Report can be viewed below.
Parks & Recreation COVID-19 Updates
Senior Programming Cancellations: The City’s bingo, mahjong, soccer, movies, and monthly excursion programs until further notice.
Senior Lunch Program – The Senior Lunch program has been modified from its normal format. Meal distribution now occurs on Tuesdays starting at 11:00 a.m. at the Community Center. Five (5) meals will be provided to each senior that has a reservation each Tuesday. Reservations are made by contacting the YWCA directly at 626-960-2995 or 626-214-9465.
Dial-A-Ride – We are now allowing same day sign-up. Senior residents can call in to the reservation line at 626-286-2456 to reserve a ride.
Services times are now changed to earlier in the day as follows:
- Monday through Friday: 7:00am – 8:00pm
- Saturday & Sunday: 7:00am – 5:00pm
Information & Referrals